During our last meeting the due date changed, due to the Labor Day holiday, and another new member and I decided we should participate.
The challenge was to receive an ordinary household object an use it as inspiration in a mixed media quilt.
This is the object I was sent. I had no idea what it was other than a broken spiral. I discovered that it is a mosquito coil. Knowing what it is has helped a lot with inspiration for my subject. It has been a VERY buggy summer here in Wisconsin. The shape is also nice. I purchased another coil and I have been using it as a stamp to discharge and paint my background fabric. I also like the paper it was wrapped in, the graphics are great!
So far the process has been fun. I experimented with "Cascade" gel dishwashing detergent with bleach to discharge the fabric and it worked great. I then rinsed the fabric and soaked it in soda ash to neutralize it before I washed it. Hopefully this is all I needed to do. So far so good.