A place to share my art, my quilting and my experiences creating with my favorite furry friends at my feet.

Friday, June 29, 2012

Life Continues with More Change

This week I have been writing a lot about the changes that have happened to me over the past few months. I am finding this very beneficial to me. This writing has been very self-serving. If you are tired of reading about my dog story too bad, there is yet another chapter and this one includes sewing.
About a week after bringing Clover home, we were given the opportunity to dog sit for Henriette. Merit, a 5 year-old male, needed a place to stay for a long weekend. Merit is a beautiful dog. He has had health issues in the past, but is very healthy now. Merit is also a very loving dog that likes to snuggle, play, and go for long walks. Merit came for a visit and decided to stay. Merit has been with us for 10 weeks now and has no intention of going home. Merit is a champion and I am currently working with him and he is teaching me a lot about dog life and competition. 10 weeks ago I knew very little about confirmation, agility or obedience. Merit is helping me learn. We have started tracking classes together and I am learning how to properly handle a dog (and not let them handle me). Merit is helping me regain my confidence.
Merit enjoying a carrot in the garden
Merit is also helping me to get involved in new activities, something I need to do right now. Quilting has been my passion. I especially love to spend time sewing over the summer when I am out of school. This summer is very different. I had cataract surgery this spring and my eyes are healing. The surgery has been a mixed blessing. I can see again, a huge plus. My night vision has returned, no more solid black at night. I can also see color correctly again. Colors are once again vibrant, something I did not realize I was missing. I am thankful for my surgeon. He has restored my sight and for the first time in 40 years I do not need to wear glasses. I am very thankful. The disappointing thing is that I can't thread my sewing machine needle, I can't see anything close-up and reading glasses don't provide enough correction right now.
Not being able to switch out the utility grey piecing thread currently in my machine and create is frustrating me to no end. I have 4 projects I am wanting to start and I can't. Somedays I begin to worry I will never sew again, but I know that is a path I cannot take. I am working at learning to adapt right now. Somedays are better than others, but I am having a very difficult time most days. I trust that it will all work out eventually, but for now my sewing has been put on hold.
Merit and Clover are my two blessings that are leading me down a new path. I have met new people who also enjoy springers and they have led me to a variety of new activities that I can participate in with my dogs that don't require me to see things close-up. Change keeps happening. Change will always happen. So much has changed over the past three months and I am in a place I never expected to be. I am learning to accept change even if I don't want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment